New BTracks

Facebook

Author Topic: Hi from Vermont  (Read 3311 times)

Free Reeds

• View Profile
Hi from Vermont
« on: May 29, 2013, 09:23:08 PM »
I'm new to the site and figured I'd take a few minutes to introduce myself.

I've been playing harmonica off and on for probably ten years with a few silent years in between. Started playing in my early twenties to pass the time while creeping (aiding) up rock walls. Now I do less climbing but more harmonica. This is my first and only instrument although I've been dabbling about on various chordal instruments in hopes of improving my music theory. I'd say at this point harmonica is a serious hobby; meaning, I'm really psyched to improve.

Which is why I'm so excited to involve myself with this site. I've noodled around way too much and I think preparing for these jams may be a way to structure my practice a bit... So, in my excitement I posted a jam over the Willie's Boogie BT on the Main Stage a few days ago. The production was really bad and I probably should have figured things out a bit more before posting. With that said, I spent a bit of time this past weekend messing around with a a new toy (Digitech 255) and the associated software (Cubase LE5). I'm still just scraping the surface but I got to admit it's pretty rad to be able to manipulate ones sound so much.

I think I'll post a bit on the Open Mic stage as I try to figure things out. I'm most likely going to end up overproducing things initially as I'm really digging using all these weird effects. Sorry in advance:) Also, need to figure out how to comment which I will do pronto. Thanks for putting together such a great jam.

Cheers Ryan

I also seem to be registered under FreeReed as well as Free Reeds. Not sure how this happened.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:31:55 PM by Rick »

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from Vermont
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 12:23:40 AM »
Hi Freereed,

It's great to have you aboard.  Go ahead and post in the Main Stage.  Traffic is light and your post might be missed in Open mic.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:35:28 PM by Rick »

jzinmass

• Day Drink Responsibly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 08:48:05 AM »
Freereed,
I agree with Rick- post on the Main Stage- trust me, you're ready.
Glad to hear you on the site. Think you'll find it challenging, fun and rewarding (plus, once you post a song, you'll start checking on regular basis).
So, let her rip. Cannot wait to hear your offerings.

-jeff
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:35:08 PM by Rick »

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 07:32:32 PM »
Hi Free Reeds,

I listened to your first post.  You have been practicing!   Lots of great techniques there.   All you need is steady practice and playing.  Your mind is already a sponge.    :)

I hope the site inspires you to post a lot.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:34:39 PM by Rick »

Steamrollin Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 06:53:59 AM »
Welcome aboard mate, i've been here for years, just watch out for a few "shady" characters lurking in the woodshed, bring it on!!!!! :P
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:34:01 PM by Rick »

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 09:30:03 PM »
Hi Ryan,

What part of the world are you from?  You mention "rock walls" so that makes me think Colorado.   :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:34:18 PM by Rick »

Free Reeds

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 10:15:33 PM »
Hi Rick,

I've kicked around a bunch over the years but am currently living in Vermont. I plan on being here for a bit. Pretty nice spot. 

I'm enjoying this site. Great to have access to so many great backingtracks. Kudos to everyone whose putting these out. I'm a little confused on the voting/ commenting aspect. I voted the first time and then didn't even notice that my votes were not registering for a bit afterwards... I've just gone ahead and continue commenting as I've been listening even though I have run out of votes or what have you. Is this kosher?

Anyway thanks to all for the welcome and I'm psyched to be participating. Learned a lot already just messing around with cubase.

peace
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:33:38 PM by Rick »

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 12:31:28 PM »
Hi Free Reeds,

You build up votes when you post song yourself.   It was basically designed so people are judged by  their peers  --other people who have posted songs on the site.

I hope you don't mind, I am going to change your original subject line from "Hi" to "Hi from Vermont".    It's fun to see where people hail from.