New BTracks

Facebook

Author Topic: Mic?  (Read 5195 times)

DKB331

• View Profile
Mic?
« on: March 14, 2012, 06:47:11 AM »
Can someone give me a name of some mic's that plug in to the puter. Tried with mine sounds like I am in a tin can, This is my first time trying to record and uploading anything, So I am not having any fun, guess I will go take it out on a harp. Thanks

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Mic?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 10:29:53 AM »
My solution was to buy a 4 channel mixer and plug the mixer into the sound card.   You can plug any mic into a mixer.   

Most folks buy an inexpensive mixer, less than $100.   I bought a $400 Mackie mixer which has a lot of cool features.  In the Gear Lust forum I wrote about it.

Steamrollin Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 11:04:42 AM »
Plug into the computor and edit the sound etc using Audacity untill it sounds 'better'. :)

Beelzebob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bob at Soundclick
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 01:25:53 PM »
Rick's solution is a great one, especially for older systems that may experience latency.  That's what I do, love my Mackie mixer and M-Audio sound card.  An external audio interface that will function as your sound card is a cheaper solution, but may have latency issues.  It usually plugs into a USB port.  It's worth trying if $ is an issue, it worked fine for me.  Make sure the audio interface has a preamp.  I'd want phantom power as well, in case you ever want to use a condenser mic.  Lots of choices, search musiciansfriend to get an idea.

Oh yeah, you asked about mics?  The Shure SM57 is a workhorse and built like a tank.  Pretty good for playing harp, and just about anything else as well.  But after getting the rest of your chain straight, maybe the mic you have will sound just fine.

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 02:46:43 AM »
Hi Beelzebob,

What Mackie mixer do you have?  I have been using the same Mackeir 1202 VLZ for ... 15 years and I bought it used.

You can buy users mixers on ebay.   I bought mine before there was an ebay.

I also have an M-Audio  sound card.

Blue In Green

• http://www.soundclick.com/allblues
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 06:37:40 AM »
I don't play directly into the computer. I use a Boss Micro BR portable recorder exclusively, but I do own a Behringer Tube Ultragain Mic Preamp. It is s simple unit that lets you plug an XLR or 1/4inch TRS connector into the input or output. Basically, will automatically convert your input signal to the correct output signal for the line-in to your computer. Similar to to what Rick described but more basic. Also works well for condenser mics because it provides phantom power and vacuum tube coloration.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/MIC100.aspx

Some people on this site use these with the tube gain turned  up to whatever level you want as a form of "amp". A little harsh, but it can give a raw sound similar to what Junior Wells gets on the Hoodoo Man Blues album. I was told (by Laurie Garman) that he went straight into the mixing board with an Astatic bullet mic for that recording session. Very cool combined with Buddy Guy using a Leslie speaker for his guitar.
http://www.rdio.com/#/artist/Junior_Wells/album/Hoodoo_Man_Blues/
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:42:14 AM by Blue In Green »

Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 09:57:31 PM »
3/19/12

The Blue Snowflake mic plugs directly into a Mac computer.
It is smaller than the Blue Snowball mic.

________________________________________BarryB

DKB331

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 07:00:40 AM »
Wow!! Looks like I still have a lot to learn, Thanks for all the Info ppl

Ringer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 08:37:41 AM »
Don't worry about it.  Once you stop learning your dead, so be happy!!

Johnny Utah

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 11:06:24 PM »
I either plug my Green Bullet in directly with an adaptor or use my Digitech RP155, which has been a workhorse for me.   The X-Edit software from Digitech is amazing, lets you tweak the RP155 just how you want it.

The VST program I use is called VSTHost and there are tons of plug-ins for it and I also use audacity.  I'll upload some stuff I have recorded on my computer as well as some live stuff from my band The Usual Suspects.

Some of the amp simulators sound good, some sound like crap.  Same with the various delays, overdrives and reverbs.   Just have some fun messing around with it.

Nice meeting you all.

Johnny Utah

anything