New BTracks

Facebook

Author Topic: Jamming with a member of Downchild  (Read 1716 times)

Lips Angelo

• Zelda, the harp playing blues rat. She's Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Real Blues Canada
Jamming with a member of Downchild
« on: July 20, 2015, 03:15:54 PM »
Good night at Grossman's Tavern in Toronto last night.   Grossman's is where Downchild Blues Band used to play.  Jeff Healey also got his start doing the very same Sunday night jam that I go to there.   Got to play with the bass player (Gary Kendall) from Downchild last night.  Even did Flip, Flop and Fly with him.  ;D

" The Downchild Blues Band was formed in Toronto in 1969 and continues to perform today.  The band's international fame is partially due to three of its songs, the originals "I've Got Everything I Need (Almost)" and "Shot Gun Blues", and its adaptation of "Flip, Flop and Fly", all from its 1973 album, Straight Up, being featured on the first Blues Brothers album, Briefcase Full of Blues (1978). "

I read a some great critiques of this place.  Oh so true  :o

" Pure dive bar bliss since 1943.
Hot, sweaty, crowded, loud blues band and full of drunks dancing. Lots of hooting and hollering. Soaking wet floor and bar.
My dad used to drink there in the 60's and I don't think much has changed since then.
Had beer then went home and took a shower."

" The food is not very good.
The beer selection is.
The staff was attentive and friendly.
The crowd is sultry, jovial, friendly & scary all at once. "

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Jamming with a member of Downchild
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 04:41:26 PM »
That sounds like the perfect blues bar.   If there is not a little sex and violence in the air, then it's not really a blues bar.   8)

htrain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 12:01:39 PM »
Awesome photo of you and Gary there Mike! That night I was lucky enough to play with you at Grossman's is such a super memory for me and it was very obvious that you were a valued regular there!! Good on yah and keep 'er going Mike!

wyredmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 07:23:14 AM »
Lips

Yea Gary Kendall plays the bluegoose every sunday and chuck jackson plays rocndocs every sunday. Downchild still alive and cooking.

BTW: I hear the silver dollar room is closing and there's a big to do in June.

http://www.silverdollarroom.com/ gary kendall and chuck and donnie walsh, jerome godbo and others.

anything