New BTracks

Facebook

Author Topic: Finally, after all these years, played at a blues jam  (Read 1735 times)

Beelzebob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bob at Soundclick
Finally, after all these years, played at a blues jam
« on: July 21, 2018, 06:13:39 PM »
In 1982, I got onstage with some friends and played the very, very simple harp part to  Neil Young's "Oh Lonesome Me."  I really didn't like being a center of attention like that and I decided playing onstage was not for me.  But....

There is a legendary blues jam every Saturday in Riverdale, Maryland, just outside of DC.  I finally went and expected only to listen, but I brought some harps just in case.  There were about 15 guitarists, four harp players, and it was very easy to just join in.  I was rusty, but very well received.  We jammed all the great blues tunes for a few hours, then two jazz guys came, which changed the focus and left me out in the cold.  I did try to play the jazz tunes, but I always need to practice a jazz tune a lot before I can take a stab at it.  So I started out feeling really good about my playing and then got humbled in a heartbeat.  But that's okay, I met a lot of great guys and one nice lady.  I badly need to buy new harps, but once I do, I will return.

The jam is part of The Archie Edwards Blues Heritage Foundation.  It used to take place at Mr. Edward's barbershop.  He died in 1998.  He was a good bluesman in the Piedmont style and became friends with Mississippi John Hirt.

Ringer

• View Profile
Re: Finally, after all these years, played at a blues jam
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 07:39:07 AM »
Good for you to finally take the next step.  I stop going to jams because I didn't like spending all that time to only play a few songs.  I prefer to play than to listen.  I use to play hockey and it was the same thing.  I enjoyed playing but not watching.  At this late stage in life in life I don't play hockey and I still don't watch!

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 08:33:34 PM »
Nice!
It's good to drop in to a jam, even if only now and again. Playing with other people teaches you things that backing tracks won't. It's good to meet new friends too.  :)

Lips Angelo

• Zelda, the harp playing blues rat. She's Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Real Blues Canada
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 09:46:53 AM »
Sounds like fun Beelz.  I love the sound of that one.  Good stuff man!!

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 01:16:12 PM »
Ha ha, I don't go to open mics for the same reason, you sit all night to play for 10 minutes or you can stay home and play for 2 hours.

But on the other side of it,  you really do need to go out and play in front of people.  When I play in front of people, I feel like (A) I just made a huge mistake and should stop  (B)  feel like I am giving blood.    Ha ha, so it is a necessary evil!