New BTracks

Facebook

Author Topic: rnav2174's Practice Log  (Read 8951 times)

rnav2174

• View Profile
rnav2174's Practice Log
« on: September 10, 2012, 09:38:53 AM »
Still getting familiar with this site , is this where my practice stuff should've went. I've been putting them in Harmonica Internet Resources ?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 08:57:00 AM by Rick »

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: rnav2174's Practice Log
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 08:59:28 AM »
You could put them here or on the internet resources.   

The purpose of the Practice Log area is to describe how you practice, and make notations that you are keeping up with your practice schedule.   So you could consider outside links to our jams as part of that.

The purpose of the internet resources is to link to other harmonica resources on the internet that you think other people might be interested in.    So, you could consider your jams on Youtube that also.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 10:59:41 AM by Rick »

rnav2174

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 09:25:25 AM »
Thanks Rick

rnav2174

• View Profile
Re: Swan 1664 16 holes vs CX-12
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 03:53:18 PM »
Thanks Windsaver, I've noticed while trying my Swan, that if I put my fingers holding the button just slightly deeper on the button,  it helps me a great deal in quieting the slide down . I guess it's preventing the slide from  bottoming out against the body of the harp . It took a couple of tries to find out just how far I need to move in without compromising the tone of my playing but I think I found the right position on this Chrom. Will experiment with my CX. Thanks again.

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 05:31:11 PM »
Hi RNav2174,

I think most people learn songs by ear.    It is more pleasant to know what the song sounds like and then  try to play it.   Picking the song out by ear alone is good ear training too.

It sounds like you are a real meticulous guy!  You get great results.

rnav2174

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 05:47:33 PM »
Thanks Rick, I also like learning by ear. I've been criticized by some for not reading music but I've been playing this way for so long it's hard not to. Just started learning theory and it's slow process. For me it's always been about what I hear and feel but I've been told that if I ever want to be a serious player and work with others , I need to learn how to read. In the mean time, I'll just keep doing what I've been doing and add the reading to my bag of tricks as I get better at it. I can at least read tabs. Oh well , thanks again.

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 08:47:41 PM »
Hi Mav,

And you have a good attitude about reading music too.   Some people try to turn not reading into a virtue, but it's nothing like that.  Just as you said, reading music is just another tool.    You can't learn all skills at once so you pick and choose.

I can read music a little.  It helps nail down what you played, or what you are trying to learn.

rnav2174

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 12:39:19 PM »
Ok now that I've submitted to the jam , it's back to work on what I really like playing , Stevie Wonder songs and Smooth Jazz . I'm re-working my two short versions of " Ribbon In The Sky "  to combine them into one complete song. It's bugging me that I got side tracked and didn't reach my full potential with this song . Anyway, I've got to fix my CX12's first for recording it,  in the mean time , I'll use my Swan 1664 for working it out . I recently started a new Facebook account where about 300+ of my friends are Diatonic Blues players, and I mean these people are hard core Blues lovers. While discussing some of my post , some have asked why I don't play a lot of diatonic and my response was that I used to play a lot of diatonic Blues  when I was I was stationed in Memphis Tenn. while in the Navy , in a sort of Sonny Boy's style but my heart is really with playing what got me started , Stevie's songs and Smooth Jazz, so I'm getting back to it to see just how far it can take me. I've got to find out where my true potential is. Thanks for the ear, sorry if it sounds like I'm rambling, I just lost another close family member and so I'm looking for something to fill the void and playing my chrome is helping me cope with the loss. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh5ON-LYbwQ

http://f.cl.ly/items/2A0A37141d2K2N0s2a2f/Ribbon%20in%20The%20Sky%20for%20Virgie%20%28%207-23-13%201_41_%20%202%20%201026%201.mp3

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 06:45:09 PM »

Hey My Name Is Geno And I'd Like To Know How I Download The Backing Tracks Then To Be Able To Post What I Have Done To The Backing Track

Beelzebob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bob at Soundclick
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 07:59:55 PM »
Wow, sorry to hear about your loss.  Music is great medicine, I know you'll get to a better place with it, in time.

Beelzebob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bob at Soundclick
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 08:11:59 PM »
Geno,

From the home page, put your cursor over 'backing tracks' near the top of the page.  A drop down menu will appear, click on Main Stage BTs.  This will take you to a page where you can download the backing tracks.

When you have recorded your playing with the backing track,  go to the home page, find 'jams online' near the top of the page, put your cursor on it and a menu will drop down.  Click on Main Stage, that will take you to the Main Stage Page (it also says Listening Post).  Near the top of the page, put your cursor over 'songs.'  A menu will drop down with one option: 'send song to jam.'  Click on that and follow the prompts.  Remember you need to send an mp3 file.  Wav files will not be accepted.

Eric Stahl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 06:41:57 PM »
rnav,

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of folks that are close to you.

I've often found music be a good way to relax, recoup, recharge et al. I hope that music does that for you, too.

Eric

rnav2174

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 10:43:22 AM »
Thanks Erick, music is helping, it doing for me all the things you mentioned. Thanks again.

RevJTBlues

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 11:16:24 PM »
Nav, I just checked out your YouTube channel 2 things 1st I loved the funky picante 2nd I wouldn't want to be the person you had in mind when you were killing that bag LOL.