New BTracks

Facebook

Author Topic: Hello from Surrey (Vancouver) BC, Canada.  (Read 1679 times)

pappak

• Blues harp players really suck!
    • View Profile
Hello from Surrey (Vancouver) BC, Canada.
« on: August 20, 2012, 09:38:42 AM »
I have bee playing harp for about 52 years or so. I am now retired and am enjoying having the time to be able to play as much as as I want. I play at a Pro level but am not playing with anyone at the moment. I also play guitar and am quite accomplished with that too. However, harp is my principal instrument.

I have played in a couple of bands but have been known more for being a sound-man. When the opportunity arose I would get to sit in.

I play Harp because it is small enough to take with me anywhere and relatively inexpensive to buy (or used to be.) I have some music theory, but find it gets in the way when playing harp. This is an instrument I do not have to think about to be able to play at any level and that is what makes it great. I can play with anyone, anytime, anywhere. One of my favourite things to do is to play along with Magic Dick on Whammer Jammer.

I live in the Vancouver area of Canada in a suburb, called Surrey. I used to run my own computer support business, but have given all that up to play my instruments all day if i want, and I love it! The only this missing is others to play with as I recently moved and am having problems connecting with other musicians, so I hope this site proves to be all I expect of it!

Nice talking with you... Lets play!

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Surrey (Vancouver) BC, Canada.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 02:46:13 PM »
Hi Pappak,
You should find lots of willing listeners, jammers, and harp talk here!

I will look forward to hearing some harp, and some backing tracks from you.  The rule about the backing tracks is that they cannot contain any recognizeable melody, because that is what is typically copyrighted.   We generally create our own words and melodies to new and familiar chord structures.

I also wish you lots of luck in finding some local musicians to jam with.   

I have been playing a lot more slide guitar that harmonica in the last couple years, but whenever I put the old harp up to my lips, I feel like the sound is coming from my "real" throat.  Ha ha, it sounds like you are the same.

--Rick
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:47:44 PM by Rick »

Steamrollin Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 03:04:25 PM »
Sounds like we have a member who can get down!!!....looking foreward to hearing ya! :)

htrain

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 06:14:36 PM »
Welcome pappak, from across the water in Victoria. Good place to hang your hat here and spread your wings! sounds like you know the music scene but there several harp players in the Vancouver area that you might know. Looking forward to listening to some of you tracks!!

anything