New BTracks

Facebook

Author Topic: Professional Hohner Instant Workshop Toolkit MZ99831.  (Read 8541 times)

rnav2174

• View Profile
Professional Hohner Instant Workshop Toolkit MZ99831.
« on: January 14, 2014, 01:07:12 PM »
Does anyone know where I can buy the " Pro Hohner Instant Workshop Toolkit MZ99831 " for less than Hohner want's for it, they want almost $400 for it ? Thanks

boffaman

• View Profile
Re: Professional Hohner Instant Workshop Toolkit MZ99831.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 02:39:16 PM »
This is indeed a difficult one to find. I would inquire with an online or local music shop to see if they can special order one for you.

rnav2174

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 05:47:20 PM »
Asked Winslow Yerxa , here's his reply on FB. I'll have to follow up on it. Still seems like a lot of money to spend just to replace one reed. I'm hoping it's a toning issue that I can adjust and not a fractured reed.

Winslow Yerxa: Hohner like most manufacturers, sells at full list price to avoid competing with their retailers.

That said, the Hohnershop on eBay is selling the kit for $370:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem...

And also the mini ersion of the kit, which does not include reed replacement tools or parts:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem...

If you're looking specifically for reed replacement systems, you might also consider the Seydel Basic kit:

http://www.rockinronsmusic4less.com/.../seydeltoolkit.php

If you just want a de-riveting tool, you can get seydel’s as a standalone item:

http://www.rockinronsmusic4less.com/.../derivetingtool.php

or the more robust (but bulkier) Bill Romel de-riveting tool:

http://www.harmonica-workshop.com

HOHNER HARMONICA REPAIR INSTANT WORKSHOP TOOLKIT
www.ebay.com
US $370.00 New in Musical Instruments & Gear, Harmonica, Parts & Accessories
 You can get it on eBay for $370 (sold by the Hohnershop) but you wont find much lower than that. Severa; other toolkits exist, including the Lee Oskar and Richard Sleigh toolkits. However, if you're looking to replace reeds those don't include the tools or parts. You can get the Bill Betty Romel reed de-riveting tool or the one offered by Seydel, or you can get a full kit including replacement screws either in the Hohne kit mentioned or in the one offered by Seydel for about $140. See the other response to your question on my wall for links.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:56:45 PM by rnav2174 »

Gorfalamu

• Be true to the music in your head-all else follows
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 12:21:15 AM »
You can get one of the slidemeister wizards to change a reed for about $30.00.

rnav2174

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 01:01:27 PM »
Thanks Gorf , unfortunately my relationship with SlideMeister was over along time ago . I've been YouTubing on the reed replacement subject and have found a few other ways to swap out the reeds using the reeds from my Harp bone yard and some punches and other tools . I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks again.

Gorfalamu

• Be true to the music in your head-all else follows
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 12:24:07 PM »
I have a local harp smith who just reworked a custom 270 for me.  Cleaned, tuned, reed replaced, gapped, valves and reeds aligned.  $66.  One week turnaround, plays like a dream.

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 09:07:42 PM »
Sorry to bump an old thread, but this info may be useful.

I purchased the full workshop kit at a special Hohner event. I won't divulge what I paid for it, but it was much less than retail. Reeds purhcased from Germany end up costing about $1.50 each (factoring-in the freight cost). I purchased 15 reeds initially and repaired 15 harps. Even at full retail price, the kit can pay for itself in one day. You can purchase most of the tools individually from Hohner.

You have to buy the reeds in quantities of five or more of each reed (often you will get an extra one in the pack). That means if you like to kill the 4-draw reed on your D harps, for example, you have to by five of that particular reed - you can't just buy one. Additionally, if you want to fix your 5-draw reed on the same harp, you will have to buy five of that particular reed as well.

I haven't purchased a C harp for almost eighteen months now, and I would usually go through about four C harps each year. I wear out about eight D harps each year and a few weeks ago I ressurected six D harps at the cost of about $2 per harp.

Hohner only sell single spare reeds for Special 20 and Marine band models. They are the exact same reeds even though these models have different reed plates. You can also buy entire reed sets or fully-populated reed plates for SP20 and Marine Band models, as well as fully-populated reed plates for the MS System harps like Blues Harp, Pro Harp, and Big River (though personally I never liked the way these reed plates play). Hohner won't sell single reeds for MS System harps.

I do not enjoy replacing reeds. It is fiddly, precise work which can be really frustrating. Good Hohner harps retail for about fifty-five bucks and upwards (depending on the model) in my country, so being able to bring one back to life for two bucks is still worth the effort.

I'm very happy that I purchased the Instant Workshop Toolkit. Even if I had paid full retail it would have paid itself off very quickly. Most music retailers will give you a discount on almost any item if you just ask. I have never had any trouble getting 10-15% off guitars, amps, harps, mics, keyboards, books and even low priced items like guitar strings. Build a relationship with one retailer and they might really look after you. I would never pay full retail for this toolkit, or any other item over $100. But as I said above, the kit would have still paid for itself very quickly.

Hope this helps others to make a decision about this toolkit.

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 08:59:20 PM »
I just replaced a 4 blow reed on a D Special 20. Total time spent was 28 minutes including tuning and having to refit the cover plates twice after putting them on the wrong way the first time  :-[

It would have taken me longer than that to drive to the music store and buy a new harp, and would have cost me more in fuel for my car than the cost of the spare parts for the harp.

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 12:04:02 PM »
Pretty cool, Matt!   8)

Lance Gothic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 07:11:26 AM »
Howdy Y'all,

You'll find some excellent toolkit and repair info at HarmonicaSessions.com authored by Harpsmith Kinya Pollard. Start at the beginning and build a save file or print-out file. eBay has Lee Oskar toolkits for $31.49 USD and free shipping.
     Personal maintenance is key to your success and financial well being.

Good information and basic skills will keep you and your harps happy for many years!

Be Blues...And Jazz,

Lance Gothic

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 09:42:26 PM »
Thanks for the update, Lance.   8)