New BTracks

Facebook

Author Topic: Hello from Germany  (Read 21879 times)

HarpMitch

• View Profile
    • Harp Mitch & The Bluescasters
Hello from Germany
« on: July 31, 2013, 08:54:29 AM »
Hello everybody, I'm a harpplayer from Germany.  I'm a Dutchman who lives in Germany. I play about 10 years harp. For me the harmonica is the most beautiful instrument with which I really really available to show my emotions. My favorite harpplayers are Little Walter, Rod Piazza, William Clarke, Mark Hummel, Gary Smith, Mitch Kashmar, Rick Estrin.....
I try to develop my own style to be authentic. It's a very difficult thing to do that. But I'm still working on it. My favorite amp is the Harpking 6x10. My mic is a shure 520 with a blacklabel element of 1949. I hope to meet a lot of players to talk the harpthings what we all so speak about.

Greetz Harp Mitch 8)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 12:32:43 AM by HarpMitch »

Eric Stahl

• View Profile
Re: Hello from Germany
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 07:54:52 AM »
Welcome, Michel

A 6x10 Harp King - that's quite an amp!

-Eric

jzinmass

• Day Drink Responsibly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 08:56:05 PM »
Mitch,
You sound like you know your blues.  Great list of harp influences - maybe we can start a list of favorite albums for each performer. 
You hit the nail on the head regarding developing your own sound/ your own blues style and the challenge therein.  First one learns from the masters  and then tries to figure out who S/HE is (i.e., what they want to express) - at least, that's the path I travel. Others, you may find, have different approaches.
Looking forward to hearing from you.  BTW, if the site technology (getting backing tracks downloaded, etc.) gets confusing/frustrating - just ask for help (or look into Forum history).  The more people that join in, the better this site becomes.
thanks
Jeff

HarpMitch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 10:35:04 AM »
Hello Eric, thank you for replying my posting. Yes the Harpking 6x10 is quite an amp. I'm very happy with this 'giant'. Last year September I had the opportunity to buy a blond Harpking from a famous dutch harpplayer. I'm a fan off the big Piazza-sound. So I started the search for a Harpking 4x10 or 6x10. I had already a Kinder Soulful 2x10 amp. But for the chromatic harp it is not the right amp for me. And now after almost a year I have the feeling to get my own sound. Yesterday I played in Germany Meppen Int. Blues & Jazzfestival. We played openair and I had this big sound with the HK6x10 and the Soulful2x10 connected. It's a great feeling when you have enough power to do your thing. It's also a great amp to play with at small gigs. With lower volume you have you tone. I will never never want another amp. I have found my amp which is my companion for the rest of my live.

Greets Mitch  8)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 01:05:28 AM by HarpMitch »

HarpMitch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 11:03:35 AM »
Hello Jeff, thank you for replying my posting. Well the only thing that I'm trying to do is to express my emotions and feelings the way I like to do. I've heard a lot of harpplayers who really can play.  It's the  biggest challenge to hear yourself. I mean that you got the feeling 'It's ME!!' That your own sound is influenced by the great harpplayers as Little Walter, Big Walter Horton, George Harmonica Smith and many others, I think, it is the most normally thing. I even think that it is a special feeling to let these harpplayer live in your playing and sound and try to make it a mixed up with you own signature. That's what I'm trying to do.
To start with the list of favorit albums: 1992 Alphabet Bluese Black Top Label

Greetz Mitch 8)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 12:35:51 AM by HarpMitch »

Eric Stahl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 11:34:28 AM »
Mitch,

I've seen Rod Piazza a number of times in small to medium sized clubs, and understand what you mean about that monster Harp King amp sounding surprisingly good in a variety if venues. My playing has been mostly home practice, where smaller amps fit better  ;D  and I like variety... like an 8-inch Valco, a 10-inch Kalamazoo, and a 12-inch Fat Dog. There is someone on this site (Randy) who places Bogen tube amps into a variety of real cool [Blues Box] custom cabinets - and who recently placed a Pig Nose into a nice wood grain cabinet. I like variety as a source of inspiration - to take me places spur of the moment - and carry that through with mic/amp combinations as well. It's hard to beat a Shure 520 for powerful oomph, I have one too. Other excellent mics that I enjoy include a JT-30 ceramic, a powerful old military element in a massive American mic shell, and a 1955 Philips (Holland) element in a Turner shell that has what I think of as a crooners tone.

Don't get me wrong, music is *all* about one's own practiced abilities - with your entire body and entire brain in-tune and focused - but hardware can give you a good jump-start  8)

-Eric

HarpMitch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 12:39:38 PM »
Hello Eric, you right. It all starts with that little and also great instrument. Practice to get your own tone. And I'm happy that there're so many players with difference taste for sound and equipment.  I play with different mics and elements. My favorite mic is a JT30 with a ceramic element. The shure 520 is very old one and I'm using it for the better gigs and studiowork. The problem is down here in europe that you can't get the blacklabels. It is very rare here in europe. I had the luck to get one. Now I'm very carefully with it.
To answer your final statement: I agree this 100%. Most of time I play without electric equipment. Pure acoustic.....

Greetz Mitch 8)

HarpMitch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 04:53:47 AM »
Hello there, I get the feeling everybody is on holiday. It's still around the forum. Anyway me and my band Harp Mitch & The Bluescasters have 2 gigs next weekend. On friday @ the festival Oldenzaal Muzikaal www.oldenzaalmuzikaal.nl and on sunday we've organizes a Benefitconcert in our town Nordhorn Germany. This will happen in our little centralpark. Line up with 2 other bands, the Highway gang and Tabuwta. I hope the wetter is good so there will be many people to donate for the benefit Children Medicaltreatment in our local Hospital. 

Have a nice sunday and see you.

Kindly Regards Michel Zwiers 8)

TeeJay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 03:45:35 PM »
Hi Michel,
wish you'll bring in here some of ya sounds with that BTs, and the advice how ya make it....
Grüße aussem Pott (greets from the rhein-ruhr-aera)
Thomas

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 09:25:47 PM »
Yes, I think everybody is outside eating barbecue and enjoying the sunshine.

Welcome to the Jam and I look forward to hearing that Harp King.

HarpMitch

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 09:34:10 AM »
Hello harpers, now a short note from Germany. I had a great october with  great gigs. Last week I've played one song on stage with Egidio Juke Ingala & The Jacknives. A great Italian bluesband which plays Little Walter Style with the sound from the 50s. In two weeks we'll play as supportact for Tommy Schneller Band(German Blueschallenge winner 2012) I will play with my two Kinderamps 6x10 Harpking and 2x10 Soulful. I will see that I'll post a song from our last cd so you can hear the 2x10 Soulful.

Have a good time

With Regards

Mitch  8)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 11:09:07 AM by HarpMitch »

brett

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 10:38:59 AM »
Man, you can wail, Mitch. I found this video of you playing with Rod Piazza and was blown away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRTEgk8WaPU

Hope you find the time to post some of your playing on this jam with us mere mortals.  8)

Cheers,

Brett

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 06:20:30 PM »
We have a pro in our midst.     ;D

Eric Stahl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 10:25:24 AM »
That is hot harp playing.

I once helped Honey Piazza onto the stage - high heels and stairs made of milk crates don't mix. Made my day  :)

Eric

HarpMitch

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 02:42:22 AM »
Hello harpers, thank you for all the fine words but I'm not a pro :) That evening with Rod Piazza was for me a dream.That evening Mai 2011 I played with my band Harp Mitch &  The Bluescasters as the supportact. You can find some YouTube videos (Twist 2011). We had a great time. Everyday I learn more and more by listening to Little Walter......See what comes in 2014. We planning our new cd Harp Mitch & The Bluescasters Plays Little Walter Songs...For more info you can visit our Homepage www.harpmitch.com See you all and have a great time in december..

Good Luck

Mitch  8)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 09:40:38 AM by HarpMitch »

anything