New BTracks

Facebook

Author Topic: Hello from Michigan  (Read 3437 times)

paraguy1

• View Profile
Hello from Michigan
« on: August 09, 2015, 07:24:55 AM »
Hi everyone, my name is Guy . I have lived in Michigan all my life. Currently live in Swartz Creek, MI. I am 50 years young and a General Motors retiree(I was a team coordinator at Lansing car assembly). I haven't been playing harp all that long I picked one up around 2010 and started to seriously study the instrument in 2012 because I had so much free time being retired. I had Michael Rubin for a regular teacher for 1.5 years he taught me about all the scales and theory and all the basics in relation to harmonica. I was one of the first members of Ronnie Shellist's "harmonica 123" Ronnie taught a live online class for a few years before he got hired to work for Hohner. It was such a cool idea Ronnie would be live on video while about 20 students would watch (or play) and type in questions unfortunately he doesn't have the Live thing anymore I don't think but he does have it all available for download along with many lessons on the harmonia123 site. I also had Jason Ricci for a teacher for a few weeks but I wasn't quite advanced enough to take advantage of them at the time I don't think. Jason is a great guy he invited me to his house to stay the first time we talked on the phone when I was inquiring about hiring him for my teacher. I did play piano and some guitar before I started with harp which was a big help in musical understanding. I do have youtube videos up if you want to hear me play. I use the videos to listen to myself and to record for the levels of achievement test at bluesharmonica.com https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BRTT5gMVeQ   I love the harp and have met a lot of great people in the process. One more thing I am in a wheelchair from taking a bad fall down a mountain on a snowmobile which is why I retired early from General Motors. My health is what keeps me from playing in a giging band so its just been for my love of blues music that I keep playing. Maybe I will get good enough on harp to sit in occasionally with different musicians someday.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 02:44:47 PM by paraguy1 »

Beelzebob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bob at Soundclick
Re: Hello from Michigan
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 06:16:32 PM »
Hey Guy,

Welcome!  Youtube vid was great, damned right you should be out playing.    I have never played out, I know it is important for musicians to do, but I'm just chicken.  So "Rick's Place" is great for me, and I'm sure it can be great for you, too.

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 09:32:08 PM »
Hi Guy,
Welcome to the club!

I live in Michigan too, in Hamtramck inside Detroit.

I look forward to hearing more of your harp!  You sure had some great teachers!

Rick

Steamrollin Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 11:32:40 PM »
Holey smoking harpin, your learning the right way and killin it. Well done!!

paraguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 06:53:07 AM »
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Its always nice to hear that my playing is being enjoyed by others. Harmonica has been just a hobby but I put in a lot of work. Dave Barretts bluesharmonica.com has been a great help since I don't have a regular teacher right now. I am doing the LEVELS OF ACHIEVEMENT on that site and currently almost done with level 4 (it goes to 10). Its like a school of blues I am going to try and pass all 10 but these levels get harder and longer with each one. Dave makes everyone start at level one regardless how long they have been playing. It really helped with my tongue blocking because Dave likes almost everything TB ed. I am looking forward to getting to know some members here and hearing everyone play.

Steamrollin Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 07:58:45 AM »
YUUUP, its good ,the  difference from learning by ear and a few decent lessons makes it all worthwhile, i'll focus upon your stuff. S.S..

Eric Stahl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 12:50:14 PM »
Greetings from California (I was born in Michigan),
I too am in a wheelchair, though from an illness that prevented my playing harmonica after 7 good years in this group. Jam on!
Eric

Lips Angelo

• Zelda, the harp playing blues rat. She's Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Real Blues Canada
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 09:33:10 AM »
Well, you certainly can play Guy.   Can't wait to hear some stuff....

ShufflinPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 10:13:55 AM »
Wow Guy for playing only 5 years you are rocking. I shared this earlier with another new member and wanted to share it with you too if you did not all ready see it. My name is Paul Gilara and I am from Black Diamond, Washington. Welcome to the site. Like you I started playing the harp later in life. This site has helped me tremendously over the past couple of years. I would practice at home and then hit a plateau and not know where to go from there. This site gets me where I need be. I stepped out of my comfort zone 2 years ago when someone I didn't  even know heard me playing outside of a store when my wife was shopping. He had a blues band and did not have a harmonica player and wanted to know if I would like to play with them at a gig in one week. I said yes and was scarred to death. No rehearsal with the band. I just showed up and started playing and halfway through the first song the lead guitar and the bass player looked at each other and nodded to me and then gave me my first ever solo. I have been playing with the band ever since. We do about 8 gigs a year. I am telling you this because I have listened to your stuff and you are good enough to play with any band. If you get a chance to gig with anyone take the chance. It is awesome to get up there and close your eyes and just feel the music and let yourself go and flow with the music. There is nothing like it in the whole world. This site is a great place to get creative and find your. I have not had expert teaching but you have inspired me to maybe do so. I to am retired and now have the time. Welcome to the Jam.

paraguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 03:35:51 PM »
Thanks for the kind words my friends. Its always nice to hear people appreciate the time it takes to learn this instrument. I do hope to play with a band soon.