New BTracks

Facebook

Author Topic: hello from north carolina  (Read 3149 times)

bill gardiner

• View Profile
hello from north carolina
« on: August 24, 2015, 09:41:13 PM »
hi,all, just wanted to introduce my self,my name is bill gardiner  im 60 years old, just an old stones and ten years after,and old fleetwood mac fan, ive allways liked the blues, even before the invasion. ive been playing harp for about 8-10 yrs,trying real hard the last 5(it dont come easy for me,i have to work at it) i feel like i may be aproaching intermediate,level, ive never played out, its a big step for me to be posting these tracks here. this seems like a good oportunity to learn,there are some real fine harp players here,alot to try to achieve (or steal,lol). i play by ear, and if i dont feel it i cant play it,  but its good to be here.

Matt

• View Profile
Re: hello from north carolina
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 12:27:14 AM »
Welcome, Bill. This platform should suit you very well. Dive in, have fun!

bill gardiner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 05:39:36 AM »
thanks matt, lights allready comming on, by the way your music sounds really good, tight blues band.

ShufflinPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 11:22:16 AM »
Hi Bill! 
My name is Paul Gilara and I am from Black Diamond, Washington. Welcome to the site. Like you I started playing the harp later in life. This site has helped me tremendously over the past couple of years. I would practice at home and then hit a plateau and not know where to go from there. This site gets me where I need be. I stepped out of my comfort zone 2 years ago when someone I didn't  even know heard me playing outside of a store when my wife was shopping. He had a blues band and did not have a harmonica player and wanted to know if I would like to play with them at a gig in one week. I said yes and was scarred to death. No rehearsal with the band. I just showed up and started playing and halfway through the first song the lead guitar and the bass player looked at each other and nodded to me and then gave me my first ever solo. I have been playing with the band ever since. We do about 8 gigs a year. I am telling you this because I have listened to your stuff and you are good enough to play with any band. If you get a chance to gig with anyone take the chance. It is awesome to get up there and close your eyes and just feel the music and let yourself go and flow with the music. There is nothing like it in the whole world. This site is a great place to get creative and find your own style.
   You did say that you play by ear. The one tip that I can give you to help you start playing better is to put the harmonica at your mouth not your ear.

Shufflin Paul

bill gardiner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 09:18:26 PM »
thanks for the welcome paul,sounds like youve got a good thing going,thanks also for the kind words and confidence in my playing,i appreciate that. this whole platform seems like a good oportunity to learn,and hopefully get out of my comfort zone a little,looking forword to hearing more of your stuff also,you sound good.   bill

Lips Angelo

• Zelda, the harp playing blues rat. She's Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Real Blues Canada
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 09:30:20 AM »
Hey Bill.....welcome to the site.   I started playing at 40 years old.  This site has been invaluable to me as a resource.   It makes me love to play and record.   It doesn't even feel like practicing, but it sure is.   Looking forward to hearing your stuff.   Probably today in fact.     Have fun most of all!!!

bill gardiner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 12:32:33 PM »
hey lips thanks alot,i dont know how old you are now but  your playing sure sounds good to me, theres something about listening to you all, and then recording my take ,im allready learning alot,thanks again and good to be here.   bill

htrain

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 01:36:34 PM »
Welcome to the site Bill. I'm enjoying listening to your posts - good stuff. In the spirit of fellowship I'll share that I started playing at the ripe old age of 68 and thanks to people like Lips Angelo encouraging me, kept working at it and now here I am at 76 still loving it. Keep playing and enjoying!!

bill gardiner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 02:37:12 PM »
thank you htrain, wow, thats pretty impressive, you are up and down all those harps,i can tell your paying your dues!  keep playing,looking forword to hearing more of your musical ideas.  bill

anything