New BTracks

Facebook

Author Topic: Budget mics  (Read 2652 times)

KiLL-A-HertZ

• View Profile
Budget mics
« on: March 06, 2016, 02:23:34 PM »
Well after the last topic ... I started to get interested in trying different micing and mixing options.  I got a mixer pretty cheap, but now i need some good mics.  Mostly all the mics I have are Hi Z .....  I was a sound tech for quite a few years when i was younger, so i know what alot of the workhorse mics are and am familiar with the new stuff.  But they are a lil out of my price range. I cant exactly afford 3 or 4 $100 mics.

So im looking to get a few good instrument mics.  To mic the amps, mic the room, etc.

I have a pyle sm57 copy.  It works pretty well,  but i was thinking that maybe there are some vintage mics that are high quality, but can be had cheap on ebay for example.

Something similar to the sm57 or sanheiser MD 421, etc. 
Maybe some type of boom mic for micing the room.  Like an overhead drum mic.

Also would like a condenser for clean vocals and clean harp recording.  But the instrument mics are what im really looking for. 

So ... Any suggestions?  High Quality ... Low Price Point? 

Matt

• View Profile
Re: Budget mics
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 04:44:27 PM »
Vintage mics typically are not high quality by today's standards of technology. You should be able to find something like a 3-pack of instrument mics from a lesser brand, otherwise the Shure copies aren't too bad these days.

But perhaps something like this will be good for your needs:

*A pack of drum mics will also do the job (micing amps etc).

A cheap condenser will still probably set you back around $100, but shop around and you might do better on price.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 04:49:59 PM by Matt »

KiLL-A-HertZ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 05:54:19 PM »
Hmm.  Thanks for the advice.  I figured maybe i could get something good on the cheap.   Maybe ill try the behringers.

KiLL-A-HertZ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 06:24:05 PM »
I found one of those behringer 3 packs on ebay, in great condition with hard case for $20.  Can't beat that.   

Hope they sound as good as people say.

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 07:45:16 PM »
I don't have any Behringer mics, but I have their MIC200 microphone preamp and several guitar pedals which have all worked flawlessly for years. My on-stage foldback is also the same brand. There are many brands of decent microphone available in the last few years which has been instrumental (pardon the pun) in lowering Shure's prices for their 57's and 58's, for example.

Despite many people advising me that "Shure is the onlyw ay to go", I have been using AKG mics (for gigging and recording) for the last six years and am completely satisfied with the performance and durability of these products. So it's ok to shop around, in my opinion, you can get decent gear which will produce good results without breaking the bank.

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 07:50:58 PM »
Oh, I should add that if you buy a condenser mic it may require phantom power. If you don't have a device (mixing desk, preamp, or audio interface) which can supply phantom power the mic will be useful only as a paperweight, so be aware of this feature!

KiLL-A-HertZ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 08:30:55 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  I know about phantom power.  I was a sound tech,  I'm familiar with alot of things,  but i used almost exclusively shure and sanheiser mics.  So im not very familiar with other mics.   And i never did much recording.

I bought a used yamaha MG 12/4 mixer.  Supposed to be pretty nice.  And have good pre amps.  Had all the features i want.  (For the most part)  Got a good deal on it.   

How about the ADK A51. Mic  Anybody used this?  Or heard of it?