New BTracks

Facebook

Author Topic: Accompaniment  (Read 2187 times)

rnav2174

• View Profile
Accompaniment
« on: March 10, 2014, 01:37:53 PM »
 I was told as general rule of accompaniment , that if I'm going to follow someone as I'm doing here with Stevie , then I should play higher when he plays low and vice versa. Tried it on this take , it is much easier to hear the two separate harps. As before , this one has it's hit's and misses also and no ending but it was still fun to experiment. 

http://f.cl.ly/items/3k0d0a1B2M3H1Q2B1Z3c/A%20House%20is%20Not%20a%20Home%20(%202nd%20octave%20)%20.mp3

RevJTBlues

• View Profile
Re: Accompaniment
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 04:41:01 PM »
I don't know if I'd say its necessarily a general rule but one option. I started out as a sax player and it was very common to be with other sax players at jams or actual gigs. When we would play sometimes we would try the octave thing but mostly it was either harmonization or shadowing (kinda call and response). Little fills that accentuate what they did. I liked what you were doing in your recording with the different octaves especially when neither of you were in the middle register. For some reason harmonicas tend to blend more than other instruments in that middle ground. Try mixing all three techniques and I think you'll be happy with the overall song. Like they say variety is the spice of life.

P.s. I uploaded a BT with a couple of people in mind you being one of them. It's called L&L. I think your style would go good with it.

rnav2174

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 04:57:49 PM »
This is how I originally followed this song until someone pointed out that the two harps weren't clear enough to distinguish who was playing what and that I should either do the octave thing or just play on my own with a BT. Actually, the fact that they had a little trouble telling the two harps apart was actually a great compliment for me as far as I was concerned. It was all just practice so I was good with it either way. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d-OgEgNXsY

P.S. I just listened to your BT and I like it, my problem is that I don't know enough about coming up with original stuff to go with the BTs and I usually just end up following something in the original piece until I can improv on my own. Guess I should probably take a few music classes to go with my ear playing. Anyway, thanks , I'll try to come up with something.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 05:05:10 PM by rnav2174 »

RevJTBlues

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 05:30:57 PM »
Your video was removed, I couldn't watch it.

rnav2174

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 06:20:35 PM »
Interesting , I just clicked the link and it played fine. Try this link .

http://f.cl.ly/items/0y2h371N0C2X3F3z1c3g/A%20House%20is%20Not%20a%20Home%20(%20Take%202%20).mp3

anything