New BTracks

Facebook

Author Topic: Question to Shufflin Paul Re Mic-on-Stand  (Read 1911 times)

mindthegap

• View Profile
Question to Shufflin Paul Re Mic-on-Stand
« on: March 19, 2014, 03:48:24 AM »
Hi Paul

I really like your latest ST First Set Shuffle, with the mic on the stand.  I've been thinking about doing this too.  Currently when I record acoustic playing I just use an ambient mic, and I like the result actually.  But it strikes me you should be able to get some interesting, different things going by playing directly into a close mic like you have done here.

I've read a lot about cupped-mic technique, but not so much about mic-on-a-stand technique. I'd be interested in hearing about what you've found.

Guy

ShufflinPaul

• View Profile
Re: Question to Shufflin Paul Re Mic-on-Stand
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 11:47:35 PM »
Hi Guy,
       I am sorry I did not answer this sooner. I have not looked at the forum for month and just seen your post. In February I went into Seattle to watch Mark Hummel's Harmonica Blowout at Jazz Alley. It was an awesome show that was in a very up close intimate setting. The players that night were Mark Hummel, John Mayall, Curtis Salgado, Rick Estrin and James Harmon. It was one of the best live shows I might have ever seen for harmonica. As I was watching them play I noticed that there were times when some would play with hand held mics and times when some would play with the mic on a stand. There was a more pronounced shaping of notes by cupping and hand flutters on the mic stand. I bought my mic stand soon after that and I like the sound that I am getting while recording.
       I do not know where you live but if Mark Hummel's Blues Survivors and one of his Harmonica Blowouts ever come to a town near you Go! It was fun to sit and talk with them after the show and pick their brains.

Paul

Gorfalamu

• Be true to the music in your head-all else follows
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 07:29:52 PM »
Lots of things you can do with an sm-58 on a stand that you can't do with hand held.  One trick to remember is to put a foam cover over your mic; no noise if you clunk the mic with your harp and you always have the right minimum distance to the mic.

Eric Stahl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 04:47:29 PM »
I agree, liking the freedom of my hands with a mic on a stand. SM 58 for acoustic, and often an EV 664 for amped play.

-Eric