New BTracks

Facebook

Author Topic: Amp gain, I gain, we all gain  (Read 1521 times)

jzinmass

• Day Drink Responsibly
    • View Profile
Amp gain, I gain, we all gain
« on: August 04, 2014, 08:13:07 AM »
In recent comment on my posting, Bob astutely noted: '..Something is really wrong with your recording, like you left a high gain amp on accidentally.'  Very helpful, except I've never really understood what 'gain' was (indeed, sounds like the more you add, the more you gain..good thing, right?).
Looked it up :  Gain:
In electronics, gain is a measure of the ability of a circuit (often an amplifier) to increase the power or amplitude of a signal from the input to the output. It is usually defined as the mean ratio of the signal output of a system to the signal input of the same system.   
Noise:
Amplifiers generate random voltage at the output even when there is no signal applied. This can be due to thermal noise and flicker noise of the devices. For applications with high gain or high bandwidth, noise becomes a very important consideration.

It looks like when gain is increased noise is introduced.....
This is not security trading, here, less gain is better.  I also had a floor fan running next to the mic when recording (hot day) and high gain amplified it.
Thanks Bob
jeff

Ringer

• View Profile
Re: Amp gain, I gain, we all gain
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 09:17:29 AM »
I saw Bob's post and had absolutely no idea what it meant but was impressed that he recognized the problem with his hearing.   I have a tough time recognizing myself when I look in the mirror first thing in the morning.

Beelzebob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bob at Soundclick
Re: Amp gain, I gain, we all gain
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 08:43:39 PM »
LOL, I was just taking a wild stab at what it sounded like, funny that it was a fan.

anything