New BTracks

Facebook

Author Topic: Pros that only use OOB harps  (Read 3451 times)

Beelzebob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bob at Soundclick
Pros that only use OOB harps
« on: December 16, 2013, 01:21:57 PM »
I watched a Steve Guyger vid the other day, he said he only plays OOB harps.  I'll bet there are other current pros that just use OOB, especially straight blues players.  Anyone know of any others? 

htrain

• View Profile
Re: Pros that only use OOB harps
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 07:40:33 PM »
Any of the ones that I've talked to (either as they pass through town or when I'm down in California) have said they have their harps worked on - either a little bit or a whole lot. I admit the number isn't great but probably a dozen or so. It would be interesting to know what the percent of high end players would be and if the harps are literally OOB without any special prep by sponsoring companies like Hohner and Seydel.

Gorfalamu

• Be true to the music in your head-all else follows
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 04:20:50 AM »
Lee Oskar. 

Otis66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 03:16:39 AM »
Benn playing harmonica for over 20 years. What are OOB harps?

Otis66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 03:26:12 AM »
Any of the ones that I've talked to (either as they pass through town or when I'm down in California) have said they have their harps worked on - either a little bit or a whole lot. I admit the number isn't great but probably a dozen or so. It would be interesting to know what the percent of high end players would be and if the harps are literally OOB without any special prep by sponsoring companies like Hohner and Seydel.
l'm just starting to customize my harps for over blows. I adjusted a Lee Oskar and a Manji M-20. I will be buying tools soon so I can replace and tune reeds on a harmonica. I am just getting into overblowning. I practice overblows playing Take 5 by Dave Brubeck

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 06:35:11 PM »
]l'm just starting to customize my harps for over blows. I adjusted a Lee Oskar and a Manji M-20. I will be buying tools soon so I can replace and tune reeds on a harmonica.
Be aware that you can not replace Manji reeds (Suzuki reeds are spot-welded to the reed plates) and you can't buy single reeds for the Lee Oscar.

Beelzebob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bob at Soundclick
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 08:51:14 PM »
OOB: out of box harps.  No customization.  I imagine if you gap them, they're still considered OOB.

KiLL-A-HertZ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 05:29:42 PM »
I would say gapping them is a level of customising.   A very basic level.   But ootb is straighr ootb

But all i do to mine is gap reeds

shape the reeds.

Straighten reed plates

Flatsand comb and drawplate.

Tune

Beat free the octaves.

Usually the tuning part doesn't get done for some time.   Most of my harps are stock tuned.   But i doubt many pros play straight ootb harps.

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 08:59:36 PM »
I wouldn't consider myself a 'pro', but I rarely tweak my gigging harps unless there is a an obvious issue (rare) or until something goes out of tune, or I kill a reed - then I usually give them a general overhaul. If I'm replacing a reed I'll sometimes tune the entire instrument and make gapping adjustments. I don't bother using any special tuning, I just even out the octaves and make sure the top end is not out of whack. The ear is a pretty reliable judge of tuning issues. But most of my new harps go to their first gig untouched.