New BTracks

Facebook

Author Topic: Playing Like A Horn Player, can you do it ?  (Read 7710 times)

rnav2174

• View Profile
Playing Like A Horn Player, can you do it ?
« on: September 27, 2012, 12:32:32 PM »
Just curious as to how many of you think you could keep up with the Sax player on this song note for note. I'm not talking about just playing fast but really hitting every note when the Sax player does. Now Stevie's harp starts around  .40 and although I love it because it's this style of Chrom playing I'm looking to emulate,  it's the Sax that follows him that really caught my ear and would love to be able to follow . You see after so many years of playing to Stevie's pieces note for note, I'm now trying to play my Chrom like a Smooth Jazz Horn player with all the fast runs and trills. Stevie's style is perfect for doing this and requires a lot of button action. You know , I was on another site where I tried to share this idea and for some reason , to my surprise, the Jazz guys on this site just could not appreciate what I was trying to do and I pretty much just got shot down for it so I just quit the site. To them , if you didn't sound like Toots , you weren't playing Jazz. I doubt if anyone of them could keep up with and play his or her Chrom the way a Horn player does it. Toots himself said he didn't think it was possible unless the Chrom was redesigned. What do you think? I'm interested in this because this is the way I want to play. Now I know I'm going get a lot of reaction from this statement and that's ok but to me, " Traditional Jazz Chrom is ok but it's just not exciting enough to me " maybe I just haven't heard the right Chrom player yet or he or she doesn't exist. Stevie is the only player I ever heard who even comes close this way of playing.

Listen to his piece in " Do I Do " .  Go to 3:08   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COLzpfI99IE&feature=related

Spain:       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waSOVDRpfLc&feature=related

Here's an old attempt at keeping up with Everett Harp on his Sax, granted, I know he's not really playing fast and the mix doesn't work because the instruments are conflicting but it was just an experiment to point me in the direction I want to go in. What got me started was when someone commented on how some of my stuff sounds like s Sax player.  Anyway, just wanted to add something to this forum . Thanks

http://soundcloud.com/ray-navarrette/whats-goin-on-mobile

Naptown Blue

Re: Playing Like A Horn Player, can you do it ?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 08:48:58 PM »
Seriously, in the amount of time it took you to write out that post, you could have downloaded a BT's that BeelzeBob put here, just for you, and downloaded Audacity, installed it all, downloaded the lame dll, installed that, hit record and captured that chrom work, uploaded it, and had ALL of us comment upon your playing on the wonderful site that is www.harmonicaboogie.com.

I really don't know how to put this any other way.  Post a song, or quit posting youtube videos of Stevie playing some cool song with you really quiet in the background.  Step out of that shadow or step all the way back into it and outta here.

Fuck.

Steamrollin Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 02:46:18 AM »
I can play like a horn player when i get one, which aint that often nowdays,  :'(

rnav2174

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 08:32:09 AM »
 As a matter of fact I have downloaded the BT's he made for me and have been working on them almost everyday and would have posted them when I thought they were ready , but after reading this comment, I realized that I don't need to have my playing judged by you or anyone else. I already know I can play, and pretty much do it well. Thanks Beelzebob, you all take care, sorry this site turned out to be just another negativity for my playing. What ever . Goodbye, I'm out.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 12:36:38 AM by rnav2174 »

Naptown Blue

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 11:56:07 AM »
I never heard you play anything. Thats what is being asked of you. The only thing that negativity couldnt be directed at was your playing, because there wasnt any.  Dont take your ball and go home, just put up the damn song.  If you're not careful, you're going to run out of harmonica websites pretty quick.

Eric Stahl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 08:03:10 PM »
rnav2174,

It's of course up to you, but I'd like to hear you post on this site.

Like any community there are a varying methods and qualities of communication ;)  But what I've enjoyed most in six years on this site is the community - even through the occasional squabble - that there is very little if any judgement on what's played - and much support and comradeship. Folks here care, they jump in, and they tell you the honest and unblemished truth.

Personally, I enjoy spontaneity in music, playing and posting a track from the impulse and feelings of the moment. If I hadn't done that here originally, I'd probably never have posted - listening to a cool Afrosippi backing track. Others do things differently, planning and developing ideas. You would not be alone in that on this site.

-Eric

P.S.

So post a dang song!  ;D

Naptown Blue

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 10:24:05 PM »
Wont click on them. 

Will click and listen and comment and be ever so gracious as soon as you put up a song here.

You can put up half a song in the open mic room every day and develop an idea, a full one in the main stage every couple of days and further develop.

What we dont do here is only paste OTHER sites in the forum and request that everyone go there to hear something we played.  The whole point of this site is to do that here with the tools provided then you can go talk all about it in the forum.

rnav2174

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 12:28:00 AM »
You said you wanted to hear something , you didn't say it had to be a BT. Whatever,  listen , don't listen . Makes no difference.

Steamrollin Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 05:09:05 AM »
@ Eric, remember that thing i did some time go, call and response jam bt, should we focus on another one??.....@rnav2174, you said you have lots of bt's from here, bring it on brother, we/i know your got the swing with your big stick harp, i want to hear some stuff from our site, the links are not doing your playing justice imho. ;) ;)

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 02:17:46 PM »
rnav wrote:

>>You said you wanted to hear something , you didn't say it had to be a BT. Whatever

Well, now you know.   

I took a piano class once.   Everyone had their private electric piano, so everyone could practice at once and you could not hear anyone else.  You listened to yourself through head phones.   Well, the professor would go from piano to piano and "jack in" to hear how you were doing.  When he came to me, it felt like he was sticking a needle in me and drawing blood.  I really flinched inside.    At any rate, your first post here, where you are nekid, will feel hard, but you will be surprised how much you like the experience afterward.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 02:22:31 PM by Rick »

rnav2174

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 03:07:10 PM »
NaptownBlue:

I really don't know how to put this any other way.  Post a song, or quit posting youtube videos of Stevie playing some cool song with you really quiet in the background.  Step out of that shadow or step all the way back into it and outta here.

Fuck.

If that's the kind of language and expression you want to associate with this so called " Wonderful site. Well all I'll say is right back at you. If my post or lack of Bt's bother's you this much, then just pass me by when you see my name . It's not for you. Dude, you are coming off as a real " Tool " and so why would I even want to put anything up now? Now I can see why people drop from this site. To bad, I had hoped it would have been a better experience. Anyway, I'm sure there are great people and members on this site, I just happened to run into the bad apple on this site. You'll notice how I'm trying to keep it clean. Whatever , you have a nice day.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 01:25:12 AM by rnav2174 »

rnav2174

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 01:27:17 AM »
It is ended, I was just curious to see how far it would go. Now that I know, I'm done. Good luck to you all.

Steamrollin Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 05:07:27 AM »
It is ended, I was just curious to see how far it would go. Now that I know, I'm done. Good luck to you all.
I see things this way, you downloaded free bt's, posted many many links, which seemed hard to listen to but i knew there was something in your playing but never had an attempt at posting a song track, like wow, how many links do you want us to listen to?..this site is more or less one to begin with and we're priveliged to have many good players to motivate us, i love this site and i donate money to keep the wheels going so newbies can at least get a grip on things, and i'm sure many others donate as well, your welcome to join in and the occasional link to watch as well, all i'm saying is if you can upload to youtube you can upload here, and join the jam.  ;)

Eric Stahl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 10:12:26 AM »
rnav2174,

I agree with Stan's post, and think you're missing out on the real value of the site as an interactive jam with all levels of talent.

Even when my career has me too busy to play, I continue donations because I believe in this site and it's members, and flat-out enjoy playing harp with all involved.

I hope that you'll surprise us with an upload one day.

-Eric

Naptown Blue

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 08:26:30 PM »
So, now that we're all friends again....

RNAV,  how about that BT post? 

Come on dude, just put a song up.  At this point, since you haven't done so, and keep up otherwise, we'll all wonder if you don't. 

I swear to God, I'll be the very first to post 5pts to it, due to the balls necessary for you to have posted.  Come on.....do it.....do it...........do it.........POST!

I actually do want to hear it here, and If it sounds as good as it feigns in the video post, then you will be a great asset to this site.

I just want to hear it here.  That's it.  You have kept it from us, and I take offense to it.  Just post it here with a good BT from this site. 

I think I speak for most all of us in saying that.