New BTracks

Facebook

Author Topic: Hello from New Jersey  (Read 2317 times)

DaveR

• View Profile
Hello from New Jersey
« on: September 13, 2015, 08:38:09 PM »
Hi everyone,  I'm a long time guitarist that picked up the harmonica over the last year after my band's harp player quit. I've had a Hohner marine band harp for years that sat around gathering dust. I would futz around with it but never really tried to learn how to play it proper. So last winter I decided to try in earnest to learn. I took the time to figure out what notes were what, developed a U block embouchure and do a proper blow and draw using my lungs. Then i had to figure out how to play it without gobbing it up with my spit and muting notes as result. I figured out some blues riffs and also have practiced a lot of major scale melodies like old christmas carols, dixie, classical stuff, etc. So I've gotten to the point of being able to playing on three or four blues songs live with the band, with encouragement from the guys. Gotta say, its a lot of fun! So far I've been using my vocal mic (EV967) straight into the PA, and it has worked well. Also have been making some crude home recordings to backing tracks.

htrain

• View Profile
Re: Hello from New Jersey
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 02:42:58 PM »
Welcome Dave - this is a great place to lay down some practice numbers and get feedback. Looking forward to hearing you stuff!!

bill gardiner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 03:13:13 PM »
welcome dave,im new here also,great group of people around here,like they told me, dig in and have fun,looking forword to hearing some of your blues.    bill g

DaveR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 03:20:27 PM »
Thanks guys! For now I think I'm looking more forward to recording/submitting backing tracks than displaying my sloppy harp skills for critique. I have so much to learn.

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 03:53:19 PM »
I'm looking forward to hearing your playing!  Have fun!

Lips Angelo

• Zelda, the harp playing blues rat. She's Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Real Blues Canada
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 12:52:49 PM »
Hey Dave....welcome...and get your feet wet.  We're here to listen.