New BTracks

Facebook

Author Topic: Hello from Atlanta Georgia  (Read 3777 times)

Blue boy

• Blue boy
    • View Profile
Hello from Atlanta Georgia
« on: October 19, 2014, 03:37:41 PM »
Hi. I am from Atlanta Georgia and am 65. I first came across this website a few years ago. I started playing harmonica when I was in my early to mid-40's. it caught fire with me about 8 years ago. I also play guitar. I have never participated in an online jam. I hope I can accomplish this without too many false starts. I use GarageBand on my iPad for recording. We will see what happens.
Blue boy.

Ringer

• View Profile
Re: Hello from Atlanta Georgia
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 08:36:27 AM »
Welcome aboard!!

Blue boy

• Blue boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 04:14:08 PM »
Thanks! I am attempting to learn how to convert an mp4 file to mp3 if you have any thoughts on the subject. I recorded a solo in GarageBand for iPad on top of Ikes Boogie by BeezleBob.

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 07:47:01 PM »
Hi Blue Boy,

Welcome to the Jam!   I look forward to hearing some harmonica and guitar from you!  A double threat!

I hear that in Atlanta all the streets have "Peach" in their names.    ;D

Concerning the conversion of mp4's, I have no experience.

Rick

Blue boy

• Blue boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 08:07:52 PM »
Thanks for the wecome, Rick!

Beelzebob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bob at Soundclick
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 10:00:22 PM »
Hey BB,

Welcome!  Htrain and some others use GB, they would probably be best to help you.  Maybe you can load the MP4 into iMovie, delete the video, then save or render as mp3.  I can do that in my movie software, Sony Vegas.

Next time, it would be easiest to load the BT into GB, open a new audio track, and record into that.  Then render the result as mp3.  Sorry if you know that already, just checking.

BZB

Blue boy

• Blue boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 03:08:28 AM »
Hi BZB. Thanks for those ideas. I will try to contact Htrain. I also just bought Sony Acid Studio 8 at a good price from Amazon. I think you had mentioned that Sony Acid has an mp3 encoder in it. I was going to get LAME and put it in Audacity, but it needs to be "unzipped" and my Winzip demo program expired. (they want $30 for authorization). I am very excited about HarmonicBoogie. I really like your backing tracks, and I found Ike's Boogie great for laying a harp track on top. You are a very strong keyboard player.

Beelzebob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bob at Soundclick
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 11:19:06 PM »
Hey BB,

Great first ST, I just listened!  Wish I played keyboard.  That was Kevin McKendree.  He used to be a local guy (Wash, DC) with blues guitarist Tom Principato.  Then he became Delbert McClinton's piano man.  Yeah, he's awesome.  I play harp and guitar, but not a pro at all, that's for sure. 

I make BTs with Band in a Box, and as I say on my album page (click on an avatar to see someone's album page), it does the heavy lifting.

Again, awesome first post, love to hear what you produce as you get more comfortable with the format.

Acid Music Studio is now at version 10, but I use 8.  I tried 9 and it was buggy for me.  I haven't tried 10, but will at some point.

Blue boy

• Blue boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 03:37:06 AM »
Hey BZB,
I appreciate the response. I vaguely remember Band in a Box from sometime long ago. I really like your harp playing. Thanks for helping me get oriented.
BB

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 07:31:22 PM »
Wow, that's some accomplished playing!  Great technique, great rythym,  ha ha, great everything!

Blue boy

• Blue boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 08:58:19 PM »
Thanks Rick! I am really enjoying this experience, although it's taking me some time to learn my way around.

Beelzebob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bob at Soundclick
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 03:45:21 AM »
BB,

It took me a long time to get going, you're way ahead of my pace.  I love that you're doing this with an iPad.  When I saw that I thought, must be a young guy, but I was wrong  (Hey, I'm 61 myself.)  I see you use IK stuff, I use their Amplitube Free as an amp simulator.  I used to use their Sampletank a lot for backing tracks, and still do at times, but I have a hardware MIDI device, the Ketron SD2, that I love for everything but guitars.  MIDI guitars are difficult to make convincing, esp. electric.  You've pretty much jumped to the head of the class instantly but we can always give you feedback, which is helpful.  We used to have world class players like Djzznblz and Ben Bouman contribute regularly, I still have hopes they or others like them will return.  Other top players have included Tinus Koorn, Gorfalamu, Cameron Gray, and many, many more.  But mostly it's the folks you see here now, beginning and intermediate players taking small steps but improving nonetheless.

Hope you enjoy it here!

BZB

Blue boy

• Blue boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 01:47:11 PM »
Hi BZB.
Thank you for all this info and for the very positive feedback. I am a slow learner when it comes to tech stuff, so the simplicity of GarageBand for iPad is very attractive to me. Based on some of what I read from your previous posts, I purchased Sony's Acid Music Studio 8. It was a very good price, so I felt there was little to risk. I have yet to start learning it, but will give it a try. I also have the Zoom H4n portable digital recorder, which I used before I discovered GarageBand for iPad. I am hoping to start working on some backing tracks. I think they will be pretty elementary, but some might be of use to this website, and at the very least keep me developing my guitar playing, which has been pretty dormant since I became so excited about harmonica.
I have already told two harp players I know about this website because it is fun and a great way to get better. I would like to keep exchanging info, and appreciate your input.
BB

Lips Angelo

• Zelda, the harp playing blues rat. She's Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Real Blues Canada
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 10:08:16 AM »
Hey BB,

Welcome to the site.  Age don't matter none here....it's the chops and having fun  ;D .  Liked your first post man.  Keep em coming....I'm a list'nin!

Mike

anything