New BTracks

Facebook

Author Topic: Hohner Marine band in A $50  (Read 6366 times)

giguchan

• View Profile
Hohner Marine band in A $50
« on: February 13, 2017, 10:35:52 PM »
When the heck did the Marine band jump in price?  I mean it's been a while since i had a MB...  Sheesh..

Beelzebob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bob at Soundclick
Re: Hohner Marine band in A $50
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 12:04:07 PM »
I feel your pain.  They were $3.75 when I started in '72.  I only made $2.75 an hour back then, but I would need to make over $30.00 an hour now to keep that ratio, and I don't make half that.  Cheaper to buy a guitar and change the strings as needed.  A huge peeve of mine.

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 08:17:43 PM »
I remember paying $5 for a Hohner bluesharp back in 1973.

No more soaking them in water to make them sound good.  :-)

Beelzebob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bob at Soundclick
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 01:33:14 AM »
LOL, soaking them was the old equivalent of a custom harp.  Sure made them sound better, but they didn't last long.

giguchan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 09:42:52 AM »
  I used to have MB'S waay back....  but since i got turned on to Suzuki, and Seydel..   I dont pay too much attention to them any more...  no special reason.  I was in a big box the other day.... and i saw them sitting there...  so i got a C&A...  they seem to play the same  as they used to.. and not fer nuthin...  they had some Hohners  that were  north of $75.

Anyone  remember the MASH harmonica  episode?

giguchan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 09:43:51 AM »
BTW i'm glad that people still  come to this forum...  i think its  still the most active....  i think..

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 12:02:45 PM »
I never saw the MASH harmonica episode.

Ha, well, ... I would imagine there are harmonica forums more active than ours.

giguchan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 08:40:22 PM »
  There was a Korean  child in the  hospital. Klinger  tried to find a harmonica  to aid in the kid getting better...  wasn't totally  devoted to Harp...  you know how MASH is...

I do like this  forum  though...  its friendly in here

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 01:59:55 AM »
One reason for increased prices is due to rising costs of labour. Harmonicas are assembled and tuned by hand, and these days workers have minimum wages, superannuation, and other benefits which all add to the cost of a labour-intensive product like harmonicas. Rising transport costs and the fact that for the first time in their long history Hohner have been spending money on marketing.

Another reason is likely due to companies being run by accountants these days. Recent changes to the Special20 seem more about cost cutting than the dubious claims by Hohner about why they made changes to their 'range'.

The ridiculous cost of standard harps means that Hohner make less money out of me than ever before because I simply repair single reeds now instead of shelling out the big bucks for a new harp. The way Hohner's prices are going I might as well switch to Seydel.

giguchan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 03:58:53 PM »
  I used to play Hohners  when i first started(Golden melody, Spec 20,MB). A buddy of mine told that"if you're  gonna be serious   get a Seydel or Suzuki"
So being a eager  harp player i gave away all my Hohners to a buddy of mine who had less money than i did and started up a collection of Seydel and Suzuki harps.

I know now  that was not only a foolish - but expensive thing to do.  The other day while wandering around the local Big Box music shop..  I picked up the only 2 Hohners i have in my collection...  2 Mb's  one in C/A.

I'm not a fantastic player. I can appreciate  the Seydel and the Suzuki...  I dont find them harder to play like some have.  Little more effort  i think.
 I will hold on to what i have for a while.- until the prices come down.

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 10:06:45 PM »
I think the Seydels are great. The Suzukis just do not fit my face  ;D

giguchan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 09:03:52 PM »
  fit your face....  nice...  I was given as a gift at seydel that isn't a chromo- but looks like one.  complicated.

Blue In Green

• http://www.soundclick.com/allblues
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 05:53:54 PM »
If you are going to buy a Marine Band because you really want harps that have that classic Marine Band sound, the Marine Band Crossover is a great choice. In my opinion, it is worth the extra money. I have had excellent results with them over a long course of time.

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 11:01:07 PM »
If you are going to buy a Marine Band because you really want harps that have that classic Marine Band sound, the Marine Band Crossover is a great choice. In my opinion, it is worth the extra money. I have had excellent results with them over a long course of time.
I agree. The crossover also seems to play and sound better than the Marine Band Deluxe.

Lance Gothic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 08:45:54 AM »
Howdy Y'all,

Look up http://mpr66ch.blogspot.com/

Mike Peace is a harp smith that has good quality at very reasonable prices. I found him years ago when I needed some work done and he is one of the craftsmen that can put a harp in your hands for far less than retail. (You can post your comments here at HB. My e-mail has changed.)

Be Blues...And Jazz,

Lance Gothic

anything