New BTracks

Facebook

Author Topic: Seydel session steel  (Read 3932 times)

Beelzebob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bob at Soundclick
Seydel session steel
« on: April 28, 2013, 08:32:14 PM »
These seem like one of the best deals going these days.  I've heard they are a large harp, sorta like a Big River, which I do not like at all.  Can anyone say?

Beelzebob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bob at Soundclick
Re: Seydel session steel
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 01:55:51 PM »
Buehler?  Anyone......?

Ringer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 03:56:42 PM »
I looked at the Seydel session and they looked rather expensive to me.  Maybe they last longer but how long.  I've never owned one.
Buehler?? Who's Buehler??  How's the tone compared to say a special 20?

Harpo007

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 04:14:39 AM »
All my harps are SEYDEL 1847.
Give excellent metallic reverberating sound with them steel reeds.
Play very easy. Rather airtight.
I've ordered myself a Session Steel now just for the sporty looks of it. There are a few excess holes in the comb I'm gonna put to use. I'm gonna drill a little hole in both coverplates right on the spot where one of the holes in the comb is, put a lanyard  through, and use it in the car.

A visitor of this site builds them, customizes if needed even to personal liking, sels them, cost a tad more, BUT: gives longlife guarantee. And lives up to it: http://www.customharmonicashop.nl/

Greetz,

John

Free Reeds

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 10:45:03 PM »
Hi Beelzebob,

I have a few session steels and I really like them. They are definitely larger harps -- more in line with a lee oskar, or big river as you stated. The holes are actually spaced a bit further apart than both of these. This may be a deal breaker if you really don't like the feel of larger harps.

With that said, they may be worth trying if you like a mellow sound. I have a G (powerbender) and and an A and they both have a very mellow tone which I like a lot. I think the tone is really unique. I'm not sure if it's because of the stainless steel reeds or simply a result of the full coverplates but regardless they sound significantly different than anything else I've messed around with...

I can't really speak to the longevity issue as I really never blow my harps out and I have not had either of these harps all that long but I've heard the steal reeds are supposed to last longer/ stay in tune longer than brass. That seems pretty positive. The full cover plates seem pretty crush proof and supposedly you can just put them in the dish washer with no ill effects so at the very least it might be a good harp to just have in the car or pocket etc...

That's my two cents. Thks for all the great backingtracks.

Cheers Ryan

dmb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 11:53:04 AM »
I haven't broken a reed in years, EXCEPT two different reeds in the past year on the same 1847, the only steel reed harp I've ever owned. Can't speak for session steel and of course many people get longer life from steel reeds, but that's not my experience.

THE BLUES BOX

• View Profile
    • The Blues Box Amp's
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 10:03:34 PM »
there is a youtube reviewer that compairs them to the sp20.
I have a bushman delta frost in key of D that has phospher bronse reeds, I tried to break it just to test the metal and it seems unbreakable, im thinking of going with more of these.

I also have been thinking of going with the ms series on my next harp buy because of cheap reed replacements like the hohner blues harp, have one of these to and its really holding up well, plays and feels good too.

anything