New BTracks

Facebook

Author Topic: Brew's and Blues Practice Log  (Read 12346 times)

Brown Ale Guy

• View Profile
Brew's and Blues Practice Log
« on: February 29, 2012, 03:41:17 PM »
Threw this togehter while sittin around in a snow storm waiting for new dishwasher to arrive and be installed.
http://soundcloud.com/bag-5/my-babe

Ringer

• View Profile
Re: My Babe
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 12:27:27 PM »
Good to hear you Marty!!  There's so many ways now-a-days to kill time.  Sound Cloud is a new one on me.

Beelzebob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bob at Soundclick
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 04:51:05 PM »
Good harp, really good vocal!

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 08:34:39 PM »
Very interesting note choices.  I really like! ;D

Brown Ale Guy

• View Profile
Brew's and Blues Practice Log
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 09:14:13 AM »
Fulton's Sweet Child of Vine now on tap at Dusty's. Gotta like that. Played there makin' Good Friday a Great Friday. Between songs the drummer and lead guitar player were funkin' a bit while the singer tried to figure out what was next so I started singin' "Bring the FunK" and we turned a normallly rockabilly song into a much funkier thing. Wiggle Wiggle still my all time Dylan tune.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 09:03:24 AM by Rick »

Ringer

• View Profile
Re: Brew's and Blues
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 11:18:02 AM »
Keep up the good work BAG and throw a tune our way!

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 01:17:34 PM »
Leave it to BAG to know how to have fun on Good Friday.    ;D

Brown Ale Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 04:53:53 PM »
Ain't hardly been playin' at all, but went to a local potry event which has become more of an eclectic music and poetry monthly thing. Played along on some unnoteworthy Birthday blues. Was later asked by by one of the poets if I would back up her poem with some harp. Never having even read the poem or know what it is about isn't enough to dissuade me from accepting such a fine opportunity to perform live. When she turns to me and nods for me to start before she even reads the first line, it coulda frightened a lesser being, but I just started some runs and went down to the low bends when she used words like "low" and went up to some sustained 9 hole bend vibrato when she used the word "high" and threw some warbles in and somes runs and we received a very strong ovation at end. I won't mention here anything about the belly dancer, transvestite glam rock solo performer, accordian with tambourine and tabla accompaniment, etc... that we we twixt. Some day I hope to record something again.

Steamrollin Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 03:47:40 AM »
I think the accordian and tambo would have been shit hot. 8)

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 08:54:48 AM »
Bag to the rescue!  Ha ha ha.  Undaunted, unflappable.

Brown Ale Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 07:27:35 PM »
Somehow somebody with too much time on their hands and the wrong idea about life decided that Dusty's didn't have the requisite permit or whatever some rule required in order to host music at the fine establishment so they had to quit allowing bands to play for at least the foreseeable future. This just two days before last week's first scheduled performance by the Cazadores since January. That sucked. I hadn't been practicing much anyway.

Got the e-mail reminding me how great this site is and promptly sent Rick some money. My wife is out of town for a few days (I think she's coming back) so I set up stuff all over the whole basement and actually found the time to record a couple songs in the same day. I still ain't got a clue about how to get the sound I want with the equipment that I got, but I had a lot of fun and made a lot of noise.

Posted "Thrill Is Back" using my recently aquired minor key harp that I didn't know I'd ever play anything other than House of the Risng Son with. Man where did CamiloHarper come from? I've been away too long. Heard his version right after posting mine and was blown away.

Also recorded a pretty non-descript version of one of my old favorites - "Key to the Highway" - Check out http://soundcloud.com/bag-5/key-to-the-highway
if you want to be the first one in the world to hear it.

Steamrollin Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 03:29:05 AM »
I like it, very enjoyable to one of my discoveries on the net, Jazz Gillum (scuse spelling), i played along with it ok i think, i'll have a few more listens later tonight.  :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 03:31:49 AM by Steamrollin Stan »

Ringer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 08:10:29 AM »
Not bad.  I'm number 3!! Where did you get the backing track?

BAG

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 08:41:56 AM »
Thanks Ringer. Got the backing track at https://sites.google.com/site/shobluesharptracks/

Brown Ale Guy

• View Profile
Re: Brew's and Blues Practice Log
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 09:16:52 PM »
When you are about to die, there really isn’t time for your entire life to flash before your eyes, but there is a whole lotta stuff that can flow through one’s consciousness in less time than it takes for a car making a left hand turn to hit a bike rider with the right-of-way (without a helmet) that is going through a green light just doing what the bike rider does (only the second ride on this new bike, configured just to my specifications), only this was a Friday morning about rush hour when the State Track meet would shortly be getting under way. I wanted to get there early even though Tony didn’t run until after 1 o’clock. As soon as I realized it, it was too late, those things arose so quick that I didn’t know that I could think about so many things so fast. Not an entire lifetime, but not necessarily in order of thoughts, some of them were:

“Holy shit, he doesn’t see me!” “I’m gonna die” “Why didn’t I wear my helmet? I always wear my helmet” “My wife is gonna kill me for not wearing a helmet” “How much is it gonna hurt when I land on that guy’s windshield and bounce over top of the car?” “They better have good pain killers at the hospital” “I really don’t want to die yet” “I hope Tony still runs his race, even if I am dead” “If I’m in the hospital I hope Tony still runs” “Oh man, that is going to hurt lying on the asphalt after flying over this guy’s windshield” “I’m on blood thinners, I hope I don’t bleed out before the ambulance gets here.” “I’m too busy at work to be laid up in the hospital” “Holy shit, he’s really gonna hit me!” “I really have lived a good life and accomplished more than I ever thought I would anyway” “At least that life insurance I’ve been paying for for all of these years will have been a good investment” “They better have good pain killers at the hospital” “I wonder what pain killers I’ll be on?” “I love you Darlene, Thank You” “How am I gonna get the Track Meet results if I’m layin’ in the hospital” “I hope everyone else still goes to watch the Track Meet, I’ll just be lyin there on life support anyway (with lotsa pain killers, I hope)” “Will I get texts of the race results in the hospital?” “What if my phone is broke?” “I can’t miss the Meet!” “Aarggggh!”

All of that in a fraction of a second. Luckily the lizard mind reflexes that don’t require actual thought kicked in faster than my mind would have and somehow rather than hitting the brakes as I would normally do, I hit the pedals, accelerating so that rather than the car actually hitting me broadside at my leg and me flying through the windshield, the brief acceleration resulted in the car only clipping the back tire, sending the bike sprawling through the intersection and me bouncing on the side of it and on the blacktop. “Holy shit, IT HIT ME, but it only clipped me, wow, now how bad is this gonne be? Aarggggh! I’m flying, and hitting and how bad is this gonna be?”

Immediate assessment: I ain’t dead yet. I can stand. I hurt all over. I’m probably in shock. I’m probably concussed. Next assessment: The new bike is a little scraped up, but actually not too bad and I can lift it up and the wheels turn and it’s basically not destroyed. I hurt all over. Then I have to deal with people and make decisions.

People that are in shock and concussed should not be the ones dealing with people and making decisions. But there isn’t a class that everyone is taught about what to do when you are hit by a car when riding a bike. And nobody else was gonna make any decisions and so far I didn’t have to call Darlene and tell her that I was hit by a car on my bike and wasn’t wearing a helmet. Sometimes it would be nice if I didn’t have to be the mature grown up that makes the right decisions, but as gradually I become the one that is called “Sir” and never just “hey man” anymore, then I become the one that makes the decisions, so I gotta decide what to do next. But it is hard to think when one is in shock and concussed. The Yayhoo that hit me sure isn’t gonna be doing anything right. He’s probably more surprised than me because he didn’t see me. At least I saw him.

Me: God damn it don’t you watch where you are going?
Him: I’m sorry.
Winess from other car: Should I call 911?
Me: I don’t know, I don’t think so.
Witness: Are you OK?
Me: I don’t know, I don’t think so.
Me: Sorry? You’re sorry? Damn right you oughta be sorry. You just hit me with your car. Do ya ever think about looking where you are going”
Winess: Should I call 911? Are you ok?
Me: I don’t know, I don’t think so. I think so.
Him: I’m really sorry.
Me: You oughta be REALLY sorry. You just hit me with your car while I was riding my bike. God damn it don’t you watch where you are going?
Witness: Are you OK?
Me: I don’t know, I don’t think so. I think so.
Him: I’m really sorry.

I think I probably cussed a little more than that and the same revolving conversation seemed to go on for an eternity while cars were backed up in the intersection before I told the Yayhoo young man with the rumpled white shirt and cheap little tie that hit me to move his car out of the intersection and write down his vital information for me should I require it later. That allowed me time to think. Which of course I was unable to do as I was in shock and concussed. But, the bike was actually usable and I didn’t want to miss the State Track Meet so after the Yayhoo gave me a piece of paper that I concluded later was probably a fake name and address with no phone number, I thanked the witness in the car in the intersection and hopped on my bike and slowly pedaled away down the road tryin to find Hamline University where the State Track meet was being held.

It took me about an hour longer than it should have to find Hamline even though my total ride shoulda been a half hour because I was confused about directions and confused about most everything, but it was hard to realize that in my state of confusion. I think I was concussed and in shock. If I had noticed the extent to which the bump on my leg stuck out or further self assessed the contusions and abrasions and shown that to the witnesses, I woulda probably had to waste the morning in some ER room being evaluated only to be held for observation to be sent home to take it easy for a while. But, because I was too confused to make the correct decisions and nobody on the scene was mature enough to take charge and do what should have been done, whatever that is when a car hits a bicycle, I was able to spend the remainder of the weekend watching the State Track meet and Tony and his teammates and their great performances.

Good to be alive.

anything