New BTracks

Facebook

Author Topic: Question to Windsaver re my Out of Tune Bends  (Read 1217 times)

mindthegap

• View Profile
Question to Windsaver re my Out of Tune Bends
« on: March 19, 2014, 04:37:45 AM »
Hi

Thanks for your comment on my 'Gumbo Grease Guitar'. You mention that some of the bends are out of tune, and it would be helpful to me if you could give more detail.  Just to be clear, I'm not challenging your critique, I am welcoming it! I'm genuinely looking for this kind of detailed feedback :-)

And there is a particular technical reason for my interest on this...

To explain what I was trying to do in the track - the main bend I'm using here is the 3''' which in 3rd position is the flattened fifth.  What I found when working out this track was that going for the flattened fifth was more stable than trying to hit the straight fifth. The straight fifth is also a bend but it's the 3'' and difficult (for me and others I read) to hit well. 

After working this out, coincidentally I received a newsletter from David Barrett, where he was explaining 'Telephone Blues' by George Harmonica Smith - also played in 3rd position, and how most players use the 3''' bend in preference to 3'' for minor-sounding pieces for this very reason. He says...

The descending line of 4 4+ 3’’’ 3+ 2” 1 is THE classic movement for traversing the lower octave of the diatonic harmonica in 3rd Position

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsM3eDYHGqQ

However, if I'm not carrying this off convincingly, I'd like to know that :-)  Happy to hear from anyone else on this too.

Guy