New BTracks

Facebook

Author Topic: Becoming a Chromatic Harmonica instructor  (Read 2407 times)

rnav2174

• View Profile
Becoming a Chromatic Harmonica instructor
« on: September 03, 2012, 08:59:52 PM »
Ok guys the other day I was asked an interesting question by someone who is really interested in playing the Harmonica, " What does it take to become an instructor and why aren't you one ? " .  After thinking about it for a little while , my reply was that although I've played the harp as a hobby for a long time, I'm not really sure I know enough to teach someone how to play , I mean other than just feeding them what I've read online or in a book , I wouldn't even know how to go about setting up a course for Chrom Harp . Later on that evening, I went to the Harp On Chromatic reference, which is pretty much my primary site for Chrom information ,  and didn't really find what I was looking for so  I thought I'd just ask you guys. What would I need to do to become a Chromatic Harmonica Instructor? Thanks and looking forward to hearing the different views on this topic.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:03:58 PM by rnav2174 »

Naptown Blue

Re: Becoming a Chromatic Harmonica instructor
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 09:44:22 PM »
Put up an add, and boom, thats it.  I relaized that when i started playing. I took 6 months of lessons from a guy.  He taught me about tone and how to bend, some riffs, and thats it.  He had me bring in cd's and we would pit them on, pause and repeat.  He would tell me what holes s,eome was playing, and how tomget a particular sound.  At some point, he stopped teaching me harmonica and started tomteach me the blues.

Point is, if they are beginner or intermediate players, it is about listening to their playing and correcting something or point someone in a new direction, not about if you know more than they do.  They could teach you something and still be happy to pay you for it if you are taking them in a different direction at the end of the lesson.

Plus, if you go to the local guitar and lesson shop, nobody and i mean nobody will already be there giving harmonica lessons.

rnav2174

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 01:50:07 AM »
Cool, I've kind of  already been doing that with some people. I thought I had to get my degree in music theory and then know as much about the harp as some of the information that you would read on the "  Harp On Chromatic Harmonica  Reference " site. Thanks

http://www.angelfire.com/music/HarpOn/

pappak

• Blues harp players really suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 10:34:43 AM »
If you want to learn how to do something, teach it! You will never stop being amazed at the questions you get asked from students. If you don't know the answer, you tell them, "that's a good one, let me find out more and I will get back to you on it." Stop thinking about it and just do it, if you find it's not what you want to do, then do something else. if you don't try, you will never know! 8)

Gorfalamu

• Be true to the music in your head-all else follows
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 04:33:27 PM »
You can ask the Slidemeisters.com folks about how to teach chromatic.  Some very learned, talented and frankly opinionated players who know the chromatic inside and out.  Find them at slidemeisters.com
Good luck,
Gorfalamu

anything