New BTracks

Facebook

Author Topic: Just finished digitizing my collection of blues CDs ....  (Read 3981 times)

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Just finished digitizing my collection of blues CDs ....
« on: April 27, 2013, 03:29:55 PM »
I now have 2,930 songs I can copy to my mp3 player.

I turned them into FLAC files, which means they compressed somewhat, but no detail was lost.  Pretty cool.    It took me about a month.

It is 98% blues song.  All right!

It's amazing but out of all of that there are probably 30 CD's that I had in heavy rotation over the years.    There are A LOT of CD's I only listened to once.   So when I throw them on the mp3 player and hit random, I hear plenty of stuff I never heard before  (forgot about).  Awesome!

If I had bought them from Apple for $1 a song.  Yikes!

Steamrollin Stan

• View Profile
Re: Just finished digitizing my collection of blues CDs ....
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 04:31:45 PM »
Well i hope you saved my square dancin st i did some time ago, if you didn't i'll just have to do another, byeee ya'll. :-* :-*

Beelzebob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bob at Soundclick
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 07:05:56 PM »
Rick, which CDs made the top 30?  IMWTK!

Eric Stahl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 07:06:35 PM »
I only have 2640 "Blues" songs in my mp3 collection. I feel deficient  ;)

Though on my behalf, there's a pile of hot harmonica in'em  8)

Playing them randomly on multi-day driving trips makes it hard to not pull out a harp and play while driving  ::)

-Eric

P.S.

Most recently added: Earl Hooker, Two Bugs And A Roach
                               Etta James, Love's Been Rough On Me

Well, ok, also a buncha Wilhelm Furtwangler conducted classical - excellent!

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 10:01:17 PM »
It's funny, I have the  Earl Hooker, Two Bugs And A Roach CD, and I remember not liking it so much, I did not digitize it.  But I did not re-listen to it either.   Maybe I better go relisten.   Ha ha.

I have a whole lot of harp CD's from 10 years ago.

But my heavy rotation stuff consists of slide guitarists from the 1930's, the original stuff, and I like Jack White's first 2 CDs.   Also Lighting Hopkins and Mississippi Fred McDowel.

I just bought these three collections (my names for them are approximate)

Juke Joint 1
http://www.amazon.com/Jook-Joint-Blues-Thats-What/dp/B000SBUCJ0/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1367117553&sr=1-1&keywords=jook+joint+blues

Juke Joint 2
http://www.amazon.com/Jook-Joint-Blues-Crazy-With/dp/B003905M6A/ref=pd_sim_m_1

Juke Joint 3
http://www.amazon.com/Juke-Joints-3-Various-Artists/dp/B007N8QA2Y/ref=pd_bxgy_m_img_z

There are about 250 fairly obscure blues recordings in there.  Not cheap though, I probably paid about $75 for all of it.   But I sampled a few after digitizing and they sound real good.  Lots of guitar and harp.

After listening to some of my harp players, I decided that my favorite all around harp player is Gary Primich.    (By default Little Walter is also my favorite harp player. )   Gary was a great song writer and I love the creative harp lines he came up with.  Also, he did not use overblows, and I like that too.  Ha ha.

Who is your favorite harp player who is not Little Walter?

camilo_blues

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 11:01:08 AM »
My favorite blues harmonica player is Big Walter Horton. His feeling, his sense of timing. I love his groove and his comping.

Eric Stahl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 11:31:49 AM »
I bought it to play along with. Two Bugs And A Roach is an album that I hear more harp in than was recorded - but then I say that about most albums  ;)  Good harp on the album by Carey Bell and Louis Myers. It was the song Anna Lee, with Louis Myers on harp, that hooked me - a song where you just want to be sitting there with an old Valco amp.

My personal favorite harp player is Norton Buffalo who I've heard in concerts/clubs more than any other musician. Good time music - he would get a whole room pumped up and happy. When Lovin' in the Valley of the Moon was released I ran out and bought a G-chromatic (that I could not afford!) and spent the weekend learning Puerto De Azul note for note. Norton opened his shows with that song many times.

-Eric

Beelzebob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bob at Soundclick
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 02:03:49 PM »
Rick, do you know about this guy?  He seems right up your alley.  Lives about an hour from me. 

http://www.dustandgrooves.com/joe-bussard-frederick-ma/

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 05:29:39 PM »
I'll check them out Beelzebob.

I just put Earl Hooker's Two Bugs and a Roach into the pile to be digitized.   I also put Iggy Pop and the Stooges first album in the pile.   The pile only contains the 2 CDs.    The Stooges ...   don't make me look at my old CD collection any more!

Eric Stahl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 05:58:39 PM »
I struggled against breaking up complete albums - but the more I digitize, the more I come across areas where I do want to pick and choose, across a particular musicians albums etc. I used to do that because there was only so much tape that would fit in my car  :-\  I hear that nowadays, they call those playlists  :P

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 10:12:06 PM »
I like random playlists, where you have absolutely no idea what comes next.

Listening to an entire CD of Mississippi Fred McDowel is like drinking straight corn whiskey, after the first few drinks you can't really taste it any more, or you're passed out.     Ha ha, just my taste (or lack thereof). :o :)

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 10:03:35 PM »
Well, I did yard work all day, so I took out my Juke Joint CDs.   I'm sure my neighbors loved it!

I listend to set #3.   CD 4 startedout with someone who sounded like Little Walter.  It was an instrumental.   I looked, and it was Jimmy Reed!   He was not playing that high end stuff.  It was distorted Chicago style playing.  Very cool.   There is a lot of harp on these CDs.   There are a lot of players who are obviously influenced by Little Walter.  I could here bits of his "Juke" in very songs, maybe used in the turnaround or somehwere.   You could study these and increase your "Juke" improvisations.   Very cool!

In general feel, a lot of the songs sound like Chess Records blues, but they are a little sloppier.  Sometimes the vocal tone is not as memorable as the great Artists on chess.   But there is more variety of styles of harp playing here.   When I think of Chess, I think of Little Walter and Sonny Boy.   Everyone sounded like one of those two.     

There are a lot of songs with the simple boogie woogie baseline

(in Key of C)

C C  E E  G G   A A  Bb Bb  AA  GG  E E

Fun for me, since I"m learning bass.  Who knew you could play so much over that simple line?

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 11:47:35 AM »
I continue to listen to my Juke Joint CD's.   

The standout musicians are Papa Lightfoot who played harmonica and Lightnin' Slim who played guitar in the "swamp blues" style. 

You can cut straight to the chase and buy both their CD's separately  by searching for their names on Amazon.com   

Papa Lightfoot did not record too much in his hey day.  He was rediscovered in the 1960's blues revival, recorded one album, and then sadly died.  He should have been much better known.

Naptown Blue

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 09:12:37 AM »
Its too bad you guys aren't in the naptown.  I have over 20gb of digitized blues on an external HD.  Its enough to play For 24hrs a day for like three weeks.  Lots of obscure stuff.  All of the Chess blues sets, alligator blues sets, the old library of congress recording, everything.

I used to sit there and let it play through on random with a harmonica in my hand (a beer in the other) and just play along with total disregard to the key of the song.  It was a good way to learn different blues "vibes" through the regions and players.

Rick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 10:26:55 AM »
Sounds awesome Nap.

Ha ha, I have a huge collection too, but I don't have all the Chess or Alligator collections.  I have lots of collections that come from overseas, some probably a little shadey.